Thursday, February 16, 2012

Character Scrapbook

Twitter is a great source of new ideas if you follow the right people. Scholastic's Character Scrapbook is a resource I found through a tweet this morning. The tweet took me to a blog that talked about this resource so I headed over to try it out for myself. It looks like a great way for students to respond to a book, to research on a person or animal, a time period, or any number of other things, but the main way I see using it for now is as student response to a book.

When you first get to the site, you enter the book and character name, then create a person's image using choices provided, or you can choose to print it and draw your own. You can also choose from a selection of animals. The animals look more like book character type animals however as they are cartoonish. You can then select on the right side which top ten type list you would like to use. Choices include options like Ten Things I Know About _______________, Ten Accomplishments _______________ Acheived, Ten Words That Describe _______________, Ten Challenges ___________ Faced, Ten Details About ______________, and so forth.

Here is an example I made quickly using the book Willow by Denise Brennan-Nelson.  If you want a new way for students to present information about a character, check out this site!

No comments:

Post a Comment