Wednesday, February 1, 2012

If It Were My Home

IfItWasMyHome.comThe site If It Were My Home is a great tool for comparisons in the classroom. You can compare the size of a country to where you live, with another country, or see the size of disasters like the BP oil spill. It was astonishing to me to see the oil spill overlaid on a map of my city and how far it extended. This helps students see things in relation to what they know rather than endless ocean, in this case. You can also compare to see percentages like how much more or less electricity you would have, chance of being employed, free time, how much money you might have, and other highlighted facts along with a few paragraphs of more in depth information. For example, if I lived in Canada rather than the US, I would have 4.01% more free time but 17.24% less money - I wonder what I would spend the time doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment