Saturday, September 22, 2012

Finding Fiction

I wanted to help my second graders work on being able to better find books they wanted on the shelf, and also to show them some books that would be good choices for them to read. So, I combined some book talks with book ordering. We talked about some of the series that might interest them, then at their tables they put them in order by the spine labels so they might be better able to think about how to find them on the shelf. I included books from series such as Geronimo Stilton, Magic Tree House, Cam Jansen, Bailey School Kids, and a few others.
Deciding where to start the ordering
Working on shelf order
Finished order
Smart Board sort to check as a group

 What are some of your favorite chapter book series for younger readers?





2 comments:

  1. I "borrowed" your idea for book order and added it into my lesson this week. Although it's only Monday, I've already seen five 2nd and 3rd grade classes and by the end of the lesson, most of them seemed to catch on. I am hoping this will help them locate books in the correct section, too. Thanks for the idea!

    Mrs. Nase, The Book Bug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know! I love to share ideas and get new ones from others too. :) It is always nice to hear people were able to use something from the blog.

      Delete